Saturday, July 2, 2011

Roaring Silence: Forche Vs. Hamill

     Reading the pieces by both Hamill and Forche; I found both to have their own distinctly insightful views into the poetry of witness. Hamill spoke of the writer being a spectator who must not look away. I like this idea for two reasons; one being that it makes me realize that we as writers can not simply write about what we have heard. We must stand in the middle of the action; we must see and understand for ourselves exactly what is happening. Secondly, it says to me that we must not be afraid to see the entire truth, no matter how painful it may be for us. Hamill also points out that poetry of witness can not be censored by the writer, it must force open the eyes of the reader to what is happening right in front of them. I really like Hamill's take on the need for full disclosure no matter the cost to the writer.

     Forche on the other hand, opens telling us that personal and political poems are both far too one sided to encompass poetry of witness. She gives us the idea of the in between, the place these two intertwine to create what she refers to as "social poetry". I think this is where Forche really catches my attention. I have never been a big fan of poetry, especially not political poetry. I agree that the addition of the personal element helps to evoke a response in the reader, as well as make the content more enjoyable to read without losing the inter-lying meaning. Poetry may not be my first choice for an evening page turner, but I might just give poetry of witness a closer look.

To see some examples of poetry of witness look here

3 comments:

  1. Hamill was very matter of fact which I appreciated a lot. He declared that no matter what the writer thinks the truth must be spoken. This does not mean that ever author can not display his or her own opinion, but it shows that although the truth might offend people it needs to be heard.
    Forche was kind of confusing how she bounced from political to personal then to social. Her style of poetry from what I have read in this course is mind boggling. She is all over the place. Politics are a great place fro poetry because not many people can decipher poems let alone understand the government, but to each is own.
    Personally I feel poetry is interesting to read if it is on the right subject, although some poems could make me go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott,

    I complete agree with you when you talked about Hamill's piece of writing. I also think poetry of witness is when you write about something you have experienced, something your right in the middle of. I also do not enjoy reading poetry, but like you I think if I was to read it, I would choose something that falls under the poetry of witness guide lines.

    enjoy it,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott,
    For me Force had good points on poetry of witness, but I agreed with Hamill. In Forche’s article I was confused with the part in “social poetry”. Forche goes more for political/personal experience and Hamill is more personal experience. I’m not a fan of poetry, so I think if I had to read Forche’s style on poetry it would be more difficult for to understand. You have good points on your post.

    ReplyDelete